As time goes on, the Veterans who served for our country continue to readjust to civilian life, and some of them begin to deal with the aftereffects of trauma. This is the case also for adults who may have experienced trauma in childhood or adulthood, and over time the aftereffects begin to surface. Is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatable? The good news is the answer is absolutely yes.
What are some of the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?
PTSD symptoms are generally divided into four sub groups: intrusive memories, avoidance of people or situation, negative changes in thinking and mood, or quick changes in emotional reactions.
Some symptoms of intrusive memories may be:
· Recurrent, unwanted or disturbing memories of the traumatic event
· Reliving the traumatic incident as if it were happening again (flashbacks)
· Upsetting dreams about the traumatic experience
· Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the experience
Avoidance of People or Situations
Symptoms of avoidance may be:
· Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic memory
· Avoiding activities. places or people that remind you of the traumatic experience
Negative changes in thinking and mood
Symptoms of negative changes in thinking and mood may be:
· Negative feelings about other people or yourself
· Difficulty experiencing positive emotions
· Feeling numb emotionally
· Lack of interest in activities you usually enjoyed
· Hopelessness about your future
· Memory problems, including not remembering important aspects of the traumatic incident
· Difficulty maintaining relationships
Quick Changes in emotional reactions
Symptoms of changes in emotional reactions (also called arousal symptoms) may be:
· Irritable, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior
· Always on guard for danger
· Overwhelming shame or guilt
· Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much or driving too fast
· Difficult concentrating
· Trouble falling asleep
· Startled or frightened easily
If you identify with many of these symptoms, you may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Counseling can help you resolve this debilitating condition.
Dean Sunseri is a mental health counselor in Baton Rouge, Gonzales and New Orleans.